Saturday 27 June 2009

Transit through Amsterdam

It's 1:30pm here at Schiphol Airport, and I'm on the last leg of my trip, waiting for my flight back to Montreal. After getting up at 6am in Sadala on Friday morning, taking a 30 minute taxi to the bus station, then an 8 hour bus ride to Dar Es Salaam, another 30 minute taxi to the airport, waiting for 6 hours at the Nyerere International Airport, flying 9 hours to Amsterdam, I finally arrived here at 7am this morning. My flight doesn't leave until 3:20pm (I think I may have asked for a long transit time to visit Amsterdam), but when I first got here (after 38 hours of travelling), I had no desire to walk around Amsterdam, I just wanted to get home. But I couldn't change my flight - apparently you have to fly with your luggage - so I decided to take a train to Amsterdam. I walked around for about 4 hours, saw the beautiful canals, inadvertently walked through the red light district, strolled by some skunky smelling cafes, had a beer and toastie, and now I'm back at the airport, feeling surprisingly refreshed (but not smelling quite that way...).

At this point I'm feeling like I'm in sort of an in-between place. Tanzania feels distant, and so does home. It's like I don't feel like I'm quite gone, but it also doesn't feel like I'm home. Well, come to think about it, hahaha, I am in an in-between place! Which would explain why I feel that way! I'm considering deleting this whole paragraph due to it's ridiculousness, but I'll leave it, to give you an idea of how well my brain is functionning at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment