Wednesday 10 June 2009

Kwenda sokoni

I've now been in Sadala for 2 days, and I'm happy with my decision. The family is so happy to have me, they treat me like a queen. I try to do things like wash my clothes dans do my dishes, but they wont hear of it! People at home, take note!!! Hehehe! Everybody is trying to teach me swahili, so I'm getting an overload of vocabulary, but at least some of it is staying in my brain, and people are very patient.

Je suis un genre de phenomene ici, quoique je fasse, on m'observe, on me regarde. C'est bien, mais desfois je ne sais pas trop qu'est-ce qui est acceptable culturellement ou pas et j'ai peur de me faire rpendre a faire quelque chose d'inapproprie! Si je l'ai fait jusqu'a maintenant, personne ne me l'a dit.

Yesterday, we went to the market (as you already probably guessed seeing as that's what the title of the blog is...), and bought kilos of ugali (maize), fruit and veggies (the avocado are huge and delicious!), and meat (no comment). OK, maybe a little comment. Meat seems to be a pretty general term, and doesn't necessairily mean the actual meat as we would have it, oh, and it doesn't need to be regrigerated over here. Good news, ehh? For lunch yesterday, they were embarrassed that I had to wait because the food wasn't ready (even though everyone else was waiting too), so they decided to serve me somethign else before the others. It's what they refer to as "unfresh milk". Yup, good ol' curdled milk. I politely refused, and the 10th time, I firmly but politely refused it, telling them I had tried it before in Canada (unwillingly of course), and my stomach couldn't stomach it. That did the trick, and I was able to enjoy delicious kale with everyone else!

En tout cas, les choses en genral vont bien. C'est certain qu'il y a toujours des adapatations a faire, mais c'est vraiment une vie differente ici. Et les gens sont si gentils et si acceuillants qu'ils sont toujours avec moi. C'est bien parce que je ne suis jamais seule, mais c'est aussi difficile parce que je ne suis jamais seule! On m'accompange pour tout mes deplacements, donc ca fait du bien aussi de venir en ville seule et rejoindre mes amis par internet. N'hesitez surtout pas a m'ecrire, ca fait toujours du bien d'avoir des nouvelles de la maison! Je ne m'y attendais pas, mais je m'ennuie un peu...

2 comments:

  1. Dominique,
    It sounds like quite an experience. I don't know if your camera is still working but pictures of the market would be fun. I also wonder if you had a chance to visit the school and see what that is all about.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete