Thursday 25 June 2009

Last day in Moshi

So today started a little bit differently than other days : I went to someone's house to choose the goat I wanted to buy to slaughter for my goodbye party tonight. Yep, that's right, BBQ tonight! I'm filled with mixed emotions, I must say. I'm excited to get back home, but sad to leave Rosmin's family. Everyone has been so good to me, and I know they are also very sad that's I'm leaving. I guess that means I'll have to come back at some point!

So, here's a description of where the cash that was so generously donated by so many people went. I left with a little more than $2500, and during my trip I received $450 more, so in total the $3000 was spent as such (the Canadian dollar amounts are just averages, I didn't really calculate):
  • 550 000TZS / $500 : 2 new toilets for the home - indoors and flushable!!!. Unfortunately, the work should be completed today (but most likely tomorrow or the day after), so I wont have had the chace to use them before I go! And boy, I could have used those a couple of days ago!!!
  • 1 100 000TZS / $900 : School fees for 6 of the kids who are in high school.
  • 120 000TZS / $100 : Trip to the waterfalls (that I described in an earlier blog).
  • 100 000TZS / $80 : To the mother of one of the girls who is staying with Rosmin and Paulina. This woman just lost her husband to a brain tumor, has a disabled son, and other children that she must take care of (so she can't work), and she has currently fallen ill.
  • 590 000TZS / $500 : 4 new bunk beds so the kids don't have to sleep 3-4 in each bed, now thay can be a comfortable 2-3!
  • 750 000TZS / $650 : Food, kerosene, cow food, firewood, etc.
  • 60 000TZS / $50 : Sandals for everyone.
  • 30 000TZS / $20 : Kitchen utensils : plates so everyone can eat together, and a thermos to keep porridge and tea hot.
So that's about it folks! See you at home or at the Cape!

No comments:

Post a Comment